by Coy Holcombe.
The Eustace ISD Board of Trustees held their regular monthly meeting last night in the High School Library. In the meeting the board:
- Administered the Oath of Office to newly elected board members Diane Russ and Sonny Hodge.
- Elected Diane Russ to the office of board president, elected Thomas Frazier to the office of vice-president, and elected Sara McAtee to the office of board secretary.
- Presented proclamations to the regional qualifiers in track and field, Chelsea Truitt, for being named Academic All-State in soccer, and to the band members that have qualified for state in ensembles. The two state qualifying ensembles performed for the board.
- Heard financial reports and reports on PaySchools, the new energy contract, the 2009 Local Education Compliance Report, and the Expenditure Target Report for 2008-2009.
- Heard a report on the preliminary budget figures for 2009-2010.
- Approved bids for milk, bread, and ice cream products for the 2009-2010 school year. The bids were awarded to Oak Farms, Flowers Bakery, and Blue Bell.
- Approved three additional summer help positions contingent upon available funding.
- Approved naming the new competition gym the E. L. Kirk Gymnasium.
- Heard the first reading of Policy Update 85.
- Approved the transfer list for 2009-2010.
- Approved ESC 7 contracts for the 2009-2010 school year.
- Approved revisions to the DEC(Local) policy.
- Approved spending up to $130,000 of federal stimulus money on a new reading program for the High School and Middle School, a new computer based dyslexia program for the district, and two file servers to run the programs.
- Heard an update on attendance for the 5th six weeks. The attendance rate was 96.36.
- Following a closed session, the board accepted the resignation of Dorothy Paris and Calvin Kennedy. The board approved employment of Calvin Kennedy, as a teacher for the 09-10 school year and Jeff Brown as the High School reading teacher for the 09-10 school year.
- The board also approved the employment of directors and auxiliary personnel for the 09-10 school year.
- The meeting was adjourned at around 10:30 PM.