by Coy Holcombe.
Tonight the EISD Board of Trustees will hold a public hearing to discuss the annual Financial Integrity Rating System of Texas (FIRST) rating for the 2007-2008 school year. The public hearing will start at 6:30 and be held in the High School library. FIRST is designed to give the public an idea of how school districts are doing financially. There are 24 indicators in the FIRST report. The first six indicators are rated on a yes or no scale: either the district met the indicator or it did not. Indicators 7-24 are scored with a numerical score. A perfect score on questions 7 – 24 would be 85. EISD received a score of 81 on these questions. With this score, EISD earned a rating of "Superior Achievement" for the 2007-2008 school year. FIRST ratings are a year removed from the school year just completed because much of the information required to complete the ratings is dependent on the independent audit report and information submitted through the state’s PEIMS system.
Many people have a role in the district attaining a "Superior Achievement" rating. First, there are the members of the EISD School Board. Without their leadership and guidance, such achievements would not be possible. Second, there are the people that work in the business office: Carol Warren, business manager; Debra Meyners, payroll; and, Kara Weaver, accounts payable. Finally, the campus secretaries (Renae Snow, Kim McKlaskey, Cherry Gage, and Robyn Culp) and our PEIMS coordinator, Karen Thompson, make sure that the information submitted to the state is accurate. Thanks to everyone involved for helping EISD achieve another "Superior Achievement" rating.
If you are curious as to what a FIRST report looks like, I have attached a copy of the 07-08 report at the top of this entry.
At 7:00 PM, the EISD Board of Trustees will enter into their regular monthly meeting. Among the topics for discussion include:
- August financial reports
- Report on the Evaluation of 08-09 District Improvement Plan
- Performance Based Monitoring Analysis System Report
- 08-09 Cash Flow Report
- PaySchools Report for August
- Report on letter received from TEA regarding AP testing
- Consider approval of the District Improvement Plan for 09-10
- Consider Fuel Bids for 09-10
- Consider approval of class size waiver for fall semester
- Consider bid for property
- Report on enrollment
- The Board will go into closed session to consider: Resignations, employment of personnel, and updates to the substitute list.
- The Board will reconvene in open session to take action on any item discussed in closed session.
I encourage everyone to attend tonight’s public hearing and board meeting if possible.
Also, tonight the volleyball teams are in action at the E. L. Kirk Gymnasium against Rains. The starting time for the first game is 5:00.