Winter Weather Information

As the threat of winter weather looms this week, I would like to take a few minutes and review the winter weather procedures for EISD. Any morning where there is a threat of winter weather, Henry Carter, EISD director of transportation, and myself will be out early to check road conditions. We will try to make a decision known to our parents as soon as possible about delays or cancellations. In coming to a final decision regarding a delay or cancellation, the safety of our students, parents, and staff will always be the overriding consideration.

The decision to delay or cancel school will be made as quickly as possible. We will let our local radio station, KCKL, and Dallas TV stations know about our decision as soon as it is made. I will also send out a message to the district’s Celly group as soon as possible. For information about joining our Celly group, please go to the EISD homepage,, and look for the Celly information below our Twitter feed.

The type of winter weather that we receive also is a factor in determining our ultimate decision. There is a greater chance of school proceeding if we are experiencing light snow rather than light freezing rain. I do not want anyone to have to try to drive in icy conditions.

Sometimes, we have to make the decision to dismiss school early because of winter weather. In this case, parents will be notified before school is dismissed. Again, our Celly group provides a great way for parents to stay informed about early dismissals.

Above all, the safety of the students will be foremost in our minds. If you ever have questions regarding weather situations, please do not hesitate to contact me at

Leave a Reply