via Technology Tidbits by Twyla Felty
- Open and view your Office documents
- Open and do some editing
- Download your documents from Google Drive
However, there are a few caveats that you need to be aware of as you work with these Office documents from within your Google Drive.
1. Office documents do not share all the wonderful magic of Google docs, but have three limitations:
- Editing is somewhat limited
- They do not save automatically
- They can not be shared at all. You must convert first!
These limitations are immediately noticeable if you are accustomed to working with Google docs.
2. NEVER insert Office documents from your Google drive into Google Classroom !!
Because the Office format can’t be shared, these Office documents really get messy on the student end if shared for editing or as a template in a Google Classroom assignment.
If you must do this ….insert as “read only”!