via Technology Tidbits by Twyla Felty
No worries. Let’s convert that document to a Google doc,. “Convert” really creates a new copy, so you even get to keep your original just the way it is!
- Double-click to open the original Word document in your Google drive that you wish to convert
- The Word document will open in a new tab, and the tab will have the big “W” for “Word” at the top.
- Now for the conversion part:
- Go to “File” ,”Save as Google Doc” or
- Go to “Share”, and the pop-up will give you the option to convert
- The Google doc version will now open in a new tab with the Google doc icon at the tab-top
- Your Google Drive will now have two version of this document: one in the original Office format and one in Google doc format
Confused by the duplicate documents? Look at the icons!
As you start converting Office documents to Google docs, slides, and sheets (and you will!), you can easily tell the two products apart by their icons. Seems silly, but it helps when the drive gets crowded.