Technically, all the staff have already been back for four days. Everyone started back last Monday. Today, was the official welcome back for all staff members.
EISD is entering the 2016-2017 school fully staffed for all teaching positions and aide positions. There are still a few openings in our food service program, and we have an immediate opening for a bus driver. If you, or someone you know, would be interested in the bus driving position, please contact Henry Carter at (903) 425-5122 as soon as possible.
We start this new school year with several new programs in place:
- The EISD School Board is continuing to pay for students to take dual credit courses and certification courses in High School. The Board also pays for books.
- A new welding certification program will start at the High School this year.
- OddysseyWare is replacing Plato at REACH.
- We will have a full time conversational Spanish aide at the Primary and Intermediate.
- We are in the process of installing a new phone system throughout the district. Our old system is 15 years old. We can no longer obtain replacement parts for the system. It has served us well; it is just time for a new system.
- We will be constructing a new greenhouse at the High School. The old greenhouses will be moved to the Middle School.
- We are purchasing a new message system – Skylert. It will allow users to communicate through text, voice, and/or email with parents and students.
- We are upgrading our Read 180 program to the new universal program.
- We have expanded services in our special education department with additional teachers and aides.
- We will be offering a Computer Science class at the High School this year. This will allow students the opportunity to learn some computer programming.
Our maintenance department has worked throughout the summer on two major renovation projects. They have completely repainted the main Middle School gym and they are renovating the locker room area of the old High School gym so that our theater department and art department can be housed in this location.
I want to thank all of our maintenance and custodial staff for their hard work and dedication in getting all the numerous tasks accomplished this summer!
Board Hearing and Meeting Tonight
Tonight, the EISD Board of Trustees will hold their budget and tax rate hearing.
At 6:30, the Board will convene the annual budget and tax hearing. During the hearing, the Board will hear and review information pertaining to the 2016-2017 tax rate and budget. The proposed tax rate for the 2016-2017 school year is exactly the same as the 2015-2016 school year: $1.04 M & O rate and $0.19 I & S rate for a total tax rate of $1.23.
The total proposed M & O budget for 2016-2017 is just over $13 million. Combined with federal funds and other special programs, and the entire budget for 2016-2017 will be slightly over $16 million.
Regular Board Meeting
The Board will hold their regular monthly meeting at the conclusion of the tax and budget hearing. The meeting is set to start at 7:00. The Board will hear the following reports during the meeting:
- District accountability summary
- Campus accountability summary
- Preliminary FIRST Report
The Board will consider action on the following items:
- Minutes from previous meetings
- Financial reports for August
- 2016-2017 Budget
- 2016-2017 Tax Rate
- Adjustment to the Compressed Tax Rate
- Purchase of Used Buses
- Attendance Committees
- T-TESS Appraisers
- Local Policy Update 105
- The Board will enter closed session to discuss personnel issues and student transfers. Any action taken on a closed session item will be made in open session.
Everyone is invited and encouraged to attend both the tax and budget hearing and the regular board meeting.