The Texas Nursery and Landscape Association (TNLA) is now accepting applications from students interested in the fields of Horticulture and Agriculture.
April 1, 2017-The Grow Texas Scholarship Program was established to increase educational opportunities for individuals committed to advancing the Texas agriculture industry. The standard Grow Texas Scholarship award is $1,000 or more one-year scholarship award. The $1,000 award is divided into a $500 payment per semester for the next two consecutive semesters. To apply, visit www.growtexasprogram.org and click on Scholarship Application on the right side of the page.
May 1, 2017- The Texas Nursery and Landscape Association Education and Research Foundation established a scholarship program for students interested in the field of horticulture. The standard TNLA Scholarship award is a $1,000 one-year scholarship award. The $1,000 award is divided into a $500 payment per semester for the next two consecutive semesters. To apply, visit www.tnlaonline.org and click on Scholarships and Career.
April 1, 2017– The Texas Rural Education Association (TREA) is sponsoring its first student awards and recognition contest. The contest will have two categories: (1) Poster contest and (2) Video presentation. Students are to create a visual “message” supporting the TREA theme for the year:
“Growing for the Future of Rural Schools”
Second Prize- $350
Poster Contest– This contest will have two grade categories Grades 3-5 and Grades 6-8
Each Poster should focus on the theme listed above
- Each Poster must be an 8.5”x11.0” or 11”x 17” original design
- Each submission should be a scanned color copy of the student’s work. The student should retain the original piece of art /design should it be selected as a winning design. Submissions should be e-mailed to Sherry Hughes at : email@example.com
- Designs can be in any medium, including computer generated. However, we strongly recommend that students create strong, simple, colorful designs that will deliver the most visual impact for the message. Designs using only pencil/pen or clip art may not be suitable for reproduction for our web site, posters and calendars.
Video Contest: Grades 9-12
- Each presentation should not exceed 3 minutes in length, including a 10 second title screen
- E-mail each presentation to Sherry Hughes at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Videos should present the student’s perspective on areas such as the following: (These are only suggestions. Creativity is encouraged as we highlight rural schools)
*Benefits of attending a rural school
*How rural schools prepare students for tomorrow
*The spirit of rural schools
Visit www.txrea.com and click on student scholarship on the left side of the page. All entries must be submitted by April 1,2017
April 10, 2017- The Athens Oddfellow and Rebekah’s are offering their annual $500 scholarship to a graduating senior who will be attending TVCC in the fall of 2017. Applications are available in the counselor’s office.
May 26, 2017-The Ozarka “Every Drop Counts” Earth Science Scholarship is now underway. Two students in the state of Texas will be awarded $10,000 each. This scholarship is intended for students pursuing a degree at a four-year college or university in the field of earth/environmental science. Examples of earth/environmental science include, but are not limited to : Geology, Hydrogeology, Environmental Science, Environmental Law, Environmental Education, Forestry, Oceanography, and Ecology. Applications are available in the counselor’s office.
The Lady Bulldog’s basketball season came to an end last night in the bi-district round of the state playoffs against Dallas Life. Congratulations go out to the girls on making the playoffs for the second year in a row. Also, a special thank you to all the parents, other family members, and fans for making the trip over to Ferris last night.
The boys end their basketball season tonight at Edgewood. The JV game is set to start at 5:00.
Softball, baseball, and track seasons are now fully underway. The softball and baseball teams have already played scrimmage games. Our first track meet of the year is set for Thursday, February 23 in Eustace.
Although difficult to believe, this Friday is the end of the 4th six weeks. Monday, February 20, is the start of the 5th 6 weeks.
Tuesday – Softball v. Rice – 6:00; Boys Basketball at Edgewood – 5:00
Wednesday – Intermediate School Spring Pictures
Friday – 2nd Grade Field Trip – Dallas Theater; Softball at Blooming Grove; End 4th 6 Weeks
Saturday – Softball v. Buffalo – 10:00 AM; FFA Chili Cookoff and Auction – Chili judging starts at 5:30, Chili Supper starts at 6:00, Auction starts at 6:30 – Primary Cafeteria
I hope everyone has a great week!