February 6, 2017-The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo/Henderson County Area Go-Texan/ Scholarship is open for application for graduating seniors. To be eligible, applicants must
- score at least a 950 on the SAT or a 19 on the ACT, and an official copy of scores must be included with the application (this can be a copy of the form sent by SAT or ACT, a print-out of scores, or a high school transcript listing scores).
- Be ranked in the top 1/3 of the class at the completion of the first semester of the senior year, and this must be verified with an official transcript or certification from an appropriate school official.
- Have made formal application to enroll with intent to attend an accredited, not for profit Texas college or university and participate in a curriculum leading to a bachelor’s degree. Online colleges or universities are not permitted.
To apply, visit www.rodeohouston.com, and look under the scholarship tab toward the bottom of the page on the right side. You will find complete information on the registration process there.
*Applicants for the Houston Livestock Scholarship ($20,000) do not have to be a member of FFA or 4-H. If applicant is a member of one or both, make a copy of your application and submit it to the Henderson County Area Go Texan Committee for a chance to win $2,000.
Another related scholarship is for graduating seniors who plan to further their education through a vocational program in Texas. This is the Henderson County Go Texas Vocational Scholarship program. Applications for this scholarship are in the counselor’s office. These applications are due April 15,2017.
April 3, 2017– The TVEC (Trinity Valley Electric Cooperative) Scholarship is now available for application. Applicants must:
- Be graduating seniors in the top 20% of their class
- Parent or guardian must have TVEC electricity at their primary residence
- Be continuing their education at an accredited school of higher education
- Must be taking a minimum of 12 semester hours in college
Copies of the application are available in the counselor’s office.
Remember that the deadline for the TVEC Youth Tour to Washington D.C. is February 6, 2017. High school sophomores, juniors and seniors are eligible to enter the Youth Tour to Washington, D.C. Contest and win an all-expense paid trip to Washington, D.C. The trip takes place in June of each year. Highlights include a visit to your congressional offices, tours of historic monuments, memorials and the Smithsonian Institute. The tour group will travel to Arlington National Cemetery, Washington National Cathedral, the Supreme Court, and to the Library of Congress, as well as other special attractions. Applications are available in the counselor’s office.